Omni channel loss prevention professionals will be faced with lots of new challenges with the fast growth of Covid-19 cases and the strict preventative measures being implemented nationally.
The growing increase in demand for online sales, particularly for online supermarkets, will place significant pressure on warehouse and distribution loss prevention teams.
Here are some quick tips to assist loss prevention teams relating to internal risk and staff searching best practise;
1. Ensure you are fully engaged with Covid-19 contingency planning across the business. If necessary, insist on a seat at the business continuity leadership meetings as its far better to be involved and fully aware of key business changes, rather than be notified late in the process.
2. Recognise the need for compromise in some areas but in consultation with your leadership teams, ensure you are clear about how far you should adjust from existing best practise.
3. Search procedures may have to be adjusted with increased staff and shifts, but ensure there is always a strong deterrent in place within your search processes.
4. Many businesses will be transferring existing retail staff into warehouse and distribution roles, to ensure the more rigid search processes in their new environment are clearly communicated. (Be patient whilst staff adjust and communicate with them frequently)
5. If searches have to be reduced to meet business needs, focus on the quality of searches and implement processes that ensure staff with access to the most attractive products are searched frequently. Ensure that any temporary or contract Loss Prevention staff are fully aware of the most desirable and easy to steal products in the warehouse or distribution site.
6. The current best practise guidance on reducing the risk of spreading infection strongly discourages physical searching and personal interaction within 2 metres. Work with HR teams and unions where applicable to understand how these guidelines can be adhered to by implementing effective “self search” protocols.
Finally, utilise technology wherever possible. Thruvision people security screening solutions will prove invaluable when looking to address many of the challenges this escalating situation presents.
Colin Culleton is a Risk Management and Loss Prevention Consultant with extensive experience in retail profit protection with a proven track record for improving compliance and profit in successful and challenging businesses. Connect with him on LinkedIn here.